Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Groundhog Day (Apologies to Danny Rubin)

How many times do you attempt a thing (create an effect on the computer, learn to play a song on an instrument, try to use a computer keyboard to manipulate your avatar,...) before you become aware of what you are attempting?

Does it depend on what you are doing? Are you aware from the first try that you are wanting a certain effect created since you started with the intention to create the effect? Are you aware of each keystroke and mouse click, or is some of it already so automatic that you don't pay attention to each moment of the attempt?

If I (or you) are not aware of the attempts at mastery, then will I (or you) be aware of the recognition moment when mastery is attained? Must there be both for internal motivation to move from wanting to having?

Is the role of mentors (parents, teachers, bosses, mentors of all kinds) or even society to point out the steps towards accomplishing mastery? If I am not aware of a recognition moment, if it comes from a mentor as an external indicator, will that help move me towards an internal recognition or do I become dependent on the external and never develop the internal?

The reason for asking this question is to open dialog and thought regarding how this can be used in interactions with others, especially when teaching. Note that everyone is a teacher at some point when interacting with others, so it can apply to anyone.

If a mentor or teacher can see the recognition point within a student, or close to when it happens, would that help both in how they work towards mastery? Because of how a recognition moment works for me, it is different from a teachable moment - that time when I'm ready to learn something in such a way that it becomes a part of who I am. A recognition moment is when I KNOW that I have mastered something and am ready to move to the next unknown to master. I have had the experience of having a mentor recognize my accomplishment before I felt I had done so. When this happens the recognition moment for me internally, may be when the external acknowledgement happens or it may be much later, after I internally know that I have the mastery I was working towards.

No comments: